Monday, June 1, 2015

It's Time to Get Serious - I am Determined to Succeed

I sell my crochet and knit items. Let's face it, if I didn't, I’d be considered a hoarder and I wouldn't be able to justify all my yarn purchases. And we can’t have that. :-)

So, I have an Etsy shop (jenstangledthreads.etsy.com) and soon I will have a standalone website. I have also started to list things on Inselly and Instagram (@jenstangledthreads). I can also be found on Twitter (@jtangledthreads), Pinterest (@jtangledthreads), and Facebook (www.facebook.com/jenstangledthreads). I have all this social media at my fingertips to make my business a success.

It’s time to get serious.

The past couple years I have been diligent in keeping track of my sales and expenses. I use a program online called Outright (outright.com). All of my Etsy and Paypal sales are imported directly into the program, and I have linked my business bank account (which I opened this year) so any expenses are imported directly as well. I only need to enter my sales using my Square. At the end of the year, Outright provides me with a schedule of all my expenses and income. I do have to pay monthly for the service, but it is easier than trying to keep track of all my Etsy expenses.

Earlier this year, I did open a business checking account so I can keep my business money separate from my personal money. 

You would think that with all this done, I'm being serious. I'm treating this like a business, instead of a hobby. One day, I would love to be able to pay all my bills using the profits from my business, but right now it feeds my yarn addiction. I am still treating this like a hobby. But thanks to a couple new Facebook groups I have joined, I am ready to get serious. Serious about setting goals and making Jen's Tangled Threads a career, instead of something I do after work. 

Last month, I joined a group on Facebook called The Joyful Entrepreneur. We are entrepreneurs who have Etsy shops, standalone websites, or sell from social media. Through this group (which is fantastic and very supportive), I met a wonderful woman named Sarah. She is the leader of the group, and has had so much success with her own website. But, she is like me – she started on Etsy and had to learn the ropes herself with SEO, product photography and pricing. She is now sharing her experience with the members of the group. Last month, she launched “Flourish”, another Facebook group that is available for people who subscribe to the service. The monthly subscription price is less than the cost of going to a movie. Only $12.99! So, if you are serious, like I am, and want to grow your business and find other like-minded creatives out there, If you are a creative and want to take your craft to the next level and make a living from it, I highly recommend you join. http://www.bloomstudios.co/flourish.html

Flourish has been open a couple weeks and is already stocked with experts in SEO, product photography, visual aids (banners, avatars), business coaching, etc. – anything and everything you can think of to grow your business. This month we are focusing on SEO and I can’t wait to dive in.

Although I am not completely finished with dance this year (we have Nationals in a couple weeks), I am motivated to spend more time on my shop and to work smarter.

It's time to get serious.

I know. I’m going on vacation in a couple weeks. Why should I start now instead of after vacation? I’m not going to be motivated to do anything while on vacation and then everything will stall and I will stop being motivated because I will be frustrated. That’s why I’m starting now. Today is the first of the month. What better time to start? Why, if I am motivated now, should I wait?

I’m not going to wait. I’m going to start today. A mid-year resolution, if you will. No, not resolution. Determination. A mid-year determination to make this year better than last year in terms of overall sales.

And I encourage you to do the same. Make a Determination. Say, “I am determined to _______.” And fill in the blank. June 1st is just as good a time to start as January 1st. Don’t resolve to do something. Be determined to do something.

“I am determined to quit smoking.”

“I am determined to fit into that dress.”

“I am determined to be a better mother.”

Try it out for yourself. What are you determined to do? Write it down on a piece of paper and stick it on your refrigerator.

I am determined to to be able to quit my job in 5 years so I can crochet and knit full time. I am determined to be able to make a living off my talents as a fiber artist and provide for my family. 


Tomorrow we will take the next step.


No comments:

Post a Comment